Thursday, June 18, 2009

Thoughts on selective vs full body tension and other stuff

Though I'm not an exercise physiologist by any means I would say through self education and experimentation has increased tremendously over the last year or so.The people who have had a big impact on what I do include but are not limited to Pavel,Scott Sonnon,Eric Cobb,Paul Chek,and Adam Glass.Each of these individuals have their own style and philosophy but do have some things in common.

In doing single limb lifts such as presses I started out using full body tension on every rep when I first started training with my 18lb KB.Using that technique made it feel light as a feather.It obviously served me well as I progressed through the 16kg to the 24kg.As I became proficient at pressing the 24 I first read about the concept of selective tension.For those of you not familiar with it it's basically using only thje muscles required to accomplish the task.My first few attempts at using it were not very good.The KB felt much heavier than normal.However with continued practice I got the hang of it and now it's a breeze with whatever KB I'm using.The added bonus is now I have more energy in my workouts as I'm not wasting it on unecesaary tensing of other parts of the body.Give it a try.

I'm now playin around with (SEE) stored elastic energy and how I can use it not only in my yoga practice but apply it to power output for my KB work and other stuff.Stay tuned!

No comments: