Monday, November 23, 2009

For those curious about the Shaolin Workout

It's been a while since I last ypdated my blog but I plan on trying to change that and keep things fresh.The last couple of months have been a bit trying physically for me as I'm not used to dealing with injuries.It's actually minor stuff in the big scheme of things but it still bugs me.I'm rehabing from rotator cuff surgery and dealing with some cracked and bruised ribs from a fall in a rollerblading park.Anyway I'll get straight to the point.

I first heard about this workout from my cousin who heard about it from someone in his martial arts class.I decided to check it out and bought the book.I really like the sub title 28 days to transforming your body and soul the warrior's way.The book gives a background about the history of shaolin and also the author Sifu Shi Yan Ming.It also explains that in the east traing is focused on flexibility and speed to create power whereas in the West the focus is on muscle building.

The workout plan itself is a 28 day plan.One day builds upon the next and each day includes a meditation.The exercises are not your typical stretches and they are dynamic in nature.You are urged to push yourself a little harder each day and that none of the movements no matter how it feels right now are not impossible to master.In fact with enough practice you can master every one of them.

Overall I really love this type of training and would highly recommend it to anyone but especially women because of it's lengthening and suppleness approach.

1 comment:

SafeNSharp said...

Hi, just found your blog from DD. I also found the Shaolin book to be THE best stretching book out there (sorry Pavel). Been suffering from SI joint problems off and on and general tightness for at least 5 years. Tried Egoscue, various yoga, etc, but these stretches, especially the dynamic hamstring, adductor, and others really help. I feel great loose and balanced afterwards. Paulie Zink also has some great 'chair yoga' that suprisingly is very good.