Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Back to the future

Happy New Year!
As we all know this is the time of year when people make resolutions.The number of people joining gyms increases,people starting a diet jumps and so on and so on.I've never believed in making resolutions and I am not about to start.However I can state that this year will be entirely devoted to bodyweight training and no weights of any kind.This is not a resolution because it is a training plan that I will NOT break.

My training plan will revolve around convict conditioning,the shaolin workout,and in the nicer weather my playground workouts.I believe these 3 ekements blend perfectly together.I do the shaolin workout everyday as I love the results it's giving me and it's also an energizer.Plus it serves as a great warmup for the days when I do the CC.As far as the playground stuff goes many of you are aware that I absolutely love it!It's actually by far my favorite type of training.

No with the CC there is a lot of debate about where to start and how to "tweak" it.After reading it through twice I decided to put my ego aside and start from the very beginning.This means starting at stage one of the new blood program.Why would I do that when I can already do bodyweight stuff like pistols and such?Well there are a couple of reasons.First to refine my technique and to strengthen any weak areas I may have.Second to imprive my focus,be more disciplined,and give my body a break.In the sales letter for the book John Du Cane talked about something like strengthening the gaps that are causing leaks in your performance or something like that.I didn't quite understand what he was getting at but now I do.I previously mentioned how the wall pushup helped my shoulders but I was surprised by a couple of other things.On the knee bends I was shocked to find my thighs hurting after 20 reos even though I was concentrating on pulling with my abs.On the shoulderstand squats my balance and obliques strength have improved tremendously.Should be a fun year and I'll keep you posted on my journey!

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Hi,
I posted a question on the dragondoor forum regarding CC and you responded and mentioned your blog. I just read it all and its very interesting. I'm 43 years old, and have been doing cardio and light weights for 25 years. I was so fed up with lack of results that I joined a bootcamp in the fall and suffered joint pain from the pushups and squats. I finally started doing research and have decided to follow CC and replace cardio with the PACE program by Dr. Al Sears. I will look into the program you did for 28 days. I'm forgetting the name of it now. What is the playground workout? Thanks a lot.
Marilyn